Spring is in the air and that means the weather is constantly changing…One day it’s raining, one day it’s sunny. Another day it’s chilly and the next day is seemingly perfect – that’s Maryland weather for you!
At this time of year, you’ll notice that many HVAC companies are pushing sales promotions for AC “tune-ups” or preventative maintenance. While Spring is the best time of year for preventative maintenance appointments, the temperature may not be RIGHT for you to get your AC tune-up.
One of the most commonly asked questions we get is: When is the best time/temperature to have my AC Spring tune-up? Well, our Pre-Tech HVAC Home experts have all the info for you!
What is the Ideal Outdoor Temperature for AC Preventative Maintenance?
When it comes to outdoor temperature, the best time to have your air conditioner preventative maintenance performed is when it gets to be 60 degrees Fahrenheit or above outside.
When it’s too cold, and there’s little to no demand for cooling inside, air conditioning systems just don’t perform properly. They are only designed to operate within a relatively narrow range of temperatures. The refrigerant selection and part designs assume that the air conditioner would never run below a certain outdoor temperature. The minimum can vary between models, but it is usually around 60 degrees F. Since the properties of the refrigerant are manipulated between a gas and liquid, if the outdoor temperature drops below the minimum designed temperature, the refrigerant starts acting differently.
It is very difficult to determine whether or not your system is performing adequately or has the correct amount of refrigerant in it during these conditions. Manufacturer’s charging charts will be accurate and helpful down to about a 55 degree outdoor temperature, which is why we hold off on these appointments until it’s about 60 degrees out to be safe.
Why Schedule AC Preventative Maintenance in the Spring?
With warmer weather comes a renewed need for air conditioning. Late Spring and Summer are the peak times for blasting the AC, which means it’s also the busiest time of the year for HVAC repair specialists. Anything that can go wrong with overused air conditioning units, usually does, putting HVAC specialists in high demand.
By scheduling your AC preventative maintenance BEFORE we hit those peak Summer temperatures, you’re guaranteed a convenient appointment time, and a sense of relief heading into the Summer heat. You’ll know your unit is ready to perform reliably through the Summer and any necessary post-Winter repairs can be dealt with without much discomfort or inconvenience.
Once the outdoor temperatures start hanging around 60 degrees, it’s the perfect time to schedule your AC preventative maintenance. Once the peak Summer temperatures hit, we stop performing preventative maintenance because our technicians switch gears to address trouble calls and system installations.
Benefits of AC Preventative Maintenance:
- Avoid air conditioner problems this Summer. There’s never a good time to have your air conditioner break down, but you certainly don’t want it to happen in the middle of Summer! An air conditioner tune-up will ensure your system is running as smoothly as possible and help prevent unexpected problems when you need it the most.
- Catch small problems before they become BIG problems. The longer you ignore a problem with your air conditioner, the worse it will to get. Often times, unattended problems will leave you with higher operating costs as well as more expensive repairs. During a tune-up, we’ll check for any problems — big or small — that your cooling system might be experiencing and take care of them before they get worse.
- Improve comfort levels in your home. The whole reason you have an air conditioner in your home is to keep you and your family comfortable. Without an annual tune-up, your air conditioner will likely develop inefficiencies and problems that make it difficult to cool your home the way you want it. Maintaining your comfort level is your AC system’s top priority!
- Lower your utility bills. A tune-up will bring your air conditioner up to its peak operating efficiency. This will allow your unit to consume less energy and keep your utility bills under control. The earlier in the year you get your tune-up, the more you can take advantage of these lower operating costs.
- Extend the life of your unit. Air conditioners that have annual tune-ups last much longer than poorly-maintained systems. By having your air conditioner tuned-up every year, you can add years to its operating life! It is important to not miss a tune-up, as it helps you to be comfortable all summer long while protecting your investment.
- Maintain manufacturer warranties: Without regular preventative maintenance, the manufacturer may choose to void any warranties attached to your system. This is because manufacturers and technicians alike know how important regular maintenance is. So, in addition to changing your filters every 1-3 months, it’s also important to maintain records of your regular professional maintenance.
What Does AC Preventative Maintenance Include?
With Summer being just around the corner, our HVAC technicians can identify any problems that may occur when switching to cool your home. Having your service done now will also ensure that any necessary repairs can be made before hotter weather kicks in. Our Spring AC Preventative Maintenance includes:
- Inspect outdoor AC coil
- Inspect indoor evaporator coil
- Check thermostat operation
- Replace customer-supplied filters
- Replace customer-supplied UV lights
- Test temperature difference between return & supply
- Check for correct airflow settings
- Inspect evaporator coil and drain pan
- Flush condensation drain to help protect against overflow
- Inspect start & run capacitors, relays for bulges, rust & leaks
- Check compressor & fan motor for proper amperage draw
- Inspect fuses in high voltage disconnect
- Test & inspect all wires & connections
- Check blower motor & amperage draw
- Check refrigerant level/pressure
- Check capacitors for proper UF capacity
Should I Conduct Any DIY AC Maintenance?
YES! In additional to getting your preventative maintenance scheduled, we encourage homeowners to follow our 5 step Spring AC maintenance checklist to prepare your cooling system for the Summer heat.
RELATED: 5 Step Spring AC Maintenance Checklist
Any other DIY HVAC maintenance is not recommended. Since HVAC units involve natural gas, refrigerant, carbon monoxide, and high voltages, it’s important to leave all HVAC work to the professionals. The technicians at Pro-Tech HVAC Home have the knowledge and expertise necessary to handle all HVAC systems safely and precisely.
Schedule Your AC Preventative Maintenance Today!
We’re currently scheduling preventative maintenance appointments beginning in April, in hopes that temperatures begin to stay around 60 degrees by then. Contact us or request a time online today so we can get you on our schedule! We’ll make sure your system is running in tip-top shape to keep you COOL all Summer long!
Pro-Tech HVAC Home is Your Top Rated Local HVAC Company!
When it comes to HVAC services, you need to work with a company with a stellar reputation for providing service that is guaranteed to solve your problems once and for all. As Annapolis’ Top Rated Local HVAC contractor, that’s what you get with Pro-Tech HVAC Home. Our customers rely on us for fast, friendly service at a fair price. Our #1 priority is keeping our Annapolis neighbors comfortable all year long!
Request a Repair
Whatever type of heating or cooling system you have, it’s a complex system. If it has broken down, CONTACT US today for a repair!
Request an Estimate
Whether you’re replacing an old system or installing a new one, we’re here to help. We provide free estimates to Annapolis residents.
Pro-Tech HVAC Home offers new installation, replacement, repairs and maintenance of heating and air conditioning systems in the Annapolis area. Our customers rely on us for honest and reliable service for air conditioners, heat pumps, gas furnaces, Mitsubishi systems, and more. We’re happy to answer questions, troubleshoot, and help you choose the best HVAC system for you and your family. We’re always happy to help answer your questions, so please give us a call or send us an email.